miniature adj : being on a very small scale; "a miniature camera"
1 painting or drawing included in a book (especially in illuminated medieval manuscripts) [syn: illumination]
2 copy that reproduces something in greatly reduced size [syn: toy]
EtymologyFrom the miniatura (manuscript illumination), from miniare (to illuminate), from the miniāre (to colour red), from minium (red lead).
- Spanish: miniatura
- A musical composition which is
short in duration.
- Sacha composed a miniature for strings as a final project at the conservatory.
- A small, highly detailed painting; a portrait miniature.
- The art of painting such highly detailed miniature works.
- A model of reduced scale.
- There was a miniature of a whaling ship in a glass bottle over the mantlepiece.
- In the context of "gaming": A token in a game representing a unit or character.
- Jack had dozens of miniatures of Napoleanic footsoldiers painted in detailed period regalia for his wargames.
a musical composition which is short in duration
a model of reduced scale
- Finnish: miniatyyri
a token in a game representing a unit or character
- Finnish: miniatyyri
- Plural of miniatura
A miniature is a small-scale reproduction, or a small variation.
In certain contexts, miniature may mean:
- Miniature (illuminated manuscript), a small painting in an illuminated text
- Persian miniature, a small painting in an illuminated text or album
- Ottoman miniature, a small painting in an illuminated text or album
- Portrait miniature, a very small painted portrait (or other type of painting)
- Miniature figure (gaming), a small figurine used in role playing games and tabletop wargames
- Miniature fowl, any small breed of fowl (See bantam (chicken))
- Miniature model, a small representation or reproduction of an object that is larger or smaller than the actual object being represented (see scale model, dollhouse or room box)
- Miniature (The Twilight Zone), an episode of The Twilight Zone
- A collectible figurine
- A miniature toy soldier
- A Miniature park
- A Miniature railway
- A physical model of a larger object used to represent it in filmmaking.
- A miniature chess problem
miniature in Danish: Miniature
miniature in German: Miniatur
miniature in Hebrew: מיניאטורה
miniature in Italian: Miniatura (disambigua)
miniature in Japanese: ミニチュア
miniature in Dutch: Miniatuur
miniature in Swedish: Miniatyr
miniature in Turkish: Minyatür
Elzevir, Lilliputian, abstract, abstraction, altarpiece, baby, baby-sized, bantam, banty, block print, collage, color print, compact, companion, copy, cursory, cyclorama, daub, dead ringer, depthless, diminutive, diptych, doll, double, duodecimo, duplicate, dwarf, effigy, engraving, exact likeness, fellow, few, footling, fresco, handy, head, icon, idol, illumination, illustration, image, inconsequential, inconsiderable, insignificant, itty-bitty, likeness, lilliputian, little, living image, living picture, low, match, mate, meager, micro, microcosm, microscopic, midget, mini, miniaturized, minikin, minimal, minny, minuscule, minute, mirroring, model, montage, mosaic, mural, negligible, no great shakes, panorama, petty, photograph, picayune, picayunish, picture, pocket, pocket edition, pocket-sized, pony, portrait, portraiture, portrayal, print, profile, puppet, pygmy, reflection, representation, reproduction, resemblance, rubbing, semblance, shadow, shallow, short, silhouette, similitude, simulacrum, skin-deep, small, small-scale, spit and image, spitting image, stained glass window, stencil, still life, subminiature, superficial, tableau, tapestry, teeny, teeny-weeny, tiny, toy, trace, tracing, trifling, triptych, trivial, twelvemo, twin, very image, very picture, vest-pocket, wall painting, wee, weeny